Meditation Spot

Meditation Spot
My Meditation Spot

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Shushumna Breath: A Practice to Awaken the Central Channel

“Application of sushumna and awakening of kundalini are the two most important aspects of yogic practice” -Swami Rama 1

The breath method of awakening the shushumna nadi, or central channel, begins with balancing the flow of air through both nostrils at the same time. Maintaining the steady flow of air through both requires concentration and practice in both dharana and pranayama. Concentration is needed to maintain balance and experience with pranayama to have the sensitivity to differentiate the quality of the flow at the same time.

The breath is naturally stronger through one nostril or the other alternating in 90 minute cycles throughout the day and night. Shushumna breathing brings both sides into balance. In his book, Meditation in Action, Swami Rama taught that one should take a few months to practice this method regularly and that maintaining this breath for five minutes should be your goal. You will have “…attained the beginning of one-pointedness.” Shushumna breath practice is a gateway to higher states of meditation. It is a solid preparation for more advanced meditation methods, like the blue dot meditation.

In the past few months I have incorporated  this into my daily practice. If you are having difficulties with getting both nostrils clear, then you may want to start with jala neti. Daily use of the neti pot has many benefits. According to ayurvedic medicine, yoga’s sister art,  jala neti increases the efficiency of the nasal passages; clears the sinuses of impurities; helps overcome migraine problems, depression, tension, etc.;  and makes breathing easier while improving the intake of oxygen and removal of carbon dioxide.

I know from my own experience that regular jalaneti it has improved my asthma and my sleep. I find that I’m not tossing and turning as much. Perhaps because it’s easier to breath.

It is a good practice to take up after you become familiar with nadi-shodanam. IF you aren’t familiar with alternate nostril breathing, you should take a few months to learn that first before trying this technique.

I typically begin my pranayama practice after completing asana. Beginning with diaphragmatic breathing and continue for a few cycles will help you feel relaxed and centered before moving on to more intricate breath techniques. Next we go to alternate-nostril breathing for three rounds, in through the right, out through the right, then in through the left out through the left x 3. Follow with three cleansing breaths using both nostrils. Do this for three cycles before beginning shushmna breathing, breathing through both nostrils evenly.

I find that after a few cycles of nadi-shodanam my breath is lighter and my nasal passages clearer, this is evidence that the two nadis, Ida and Pingala, are cleansed. It is important to cleanse these two nadis before moving energy through the central channel.

Now that the breath is open and free flowing begin to breath slowly and deeply through both sides of the nose. Focus your mental attention at the junction of the two nostrils at the upper lip and feel the air moving evenly through both sides. If one side seems more open than the other you can go back to nadi-shodanam to clear the channels further if you wish, then start again. 


“When you regularly focus the mind on the center between the two nostrils, morning and evening, you will find that the mind easily attains a state of joy.” 1

This is a special practice, a kriya, after a few months you will be able to bring yourself to a state of joy at will and look forward to your meditation practice each day. I started with one minute  and slowly added additional time until I could maintain steady attention to the flow of the breath in both nostrils for five minutes. 
Concentrate on the flow of the air and not on the spot between the nostrils.

Paying close attention to the evenness of the air flow is the key.

I have been doing this practice for a little over four months. In that time I have noticed myself spontaneously smiling more and more often. Maybe it’s the ease I now feel in my breath. It could be I have begun to feel one-pointedness, or,  perhaps I’m just drunk on oxygen!

No matter the answer, I know I feel better having practiced this as part of my daily meditation. Having really connected with this ancient himalayan breath technique I recommend it anyone wanting to improve their breathing, their meditation, or who just wants to smile more!

The quotes and source material for this article were found in the book: Meditation and It's Practice, by Swami Rama, 9th Printing, 2012, Himalyan International Institute of Yoga Science and Philosophy of the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment